Who do you think will win the election?

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Is Hillary's Tactics Ruining the Democratic Party?

Hey World,
I just checked out an interesting article from The Washington Post on how some people within the Democratic Party think that Hillary Clinton isn't playing fair. They say that Clinton is positioning herself to be the poster child for white working class voters, while alienating Black voters in the process. These Black voters include some who had, according to House Majority Whip James Clyburn, supported Hillary's husband Bill Clinton when he was running for President. Clyburn also suggests that Hillary is trying to make Obama "unelectable" so she can run in 2012. This article has implications of the Democratic Party being divided over race, and there are also issues raised as to how far Clinton will go to outshine Obama.

I feel that the issue stems from how politics can divide a political party. I'm no political history buff, but it seems like it's been the first time in awhile at least that a party has two strong candidates vying for a nomination. It seems like usually, the majority of the party supports one candidate.

I am also not sure if I agree with Clyburn's statements. I feel like he is the Kanye West in this case, where instead of George Bush it's "Hillary Clinton doesn't care about Black people." I haven't seen proof that Clinton prefer's White voters over Black ones. Maybe that makes me naive, or maybe that makes me a person who isn't trying to jump into conclusions.

What do you all think?

No comments: